Saturday, March 5, 2011

Harpia : an other easy approach to image processing

I had chance to get acquainted with digital image processing in my 3rd year in university. However, due to lack of foundation knowledge about digital signal processing, it was so hard for me to deal with this field; I don't know how and where to start :( However, I finally made my first image processing project work well. Gods bless me :D



This project is very tiny. I chose OpenCV.NET and C# to start (at that time, the newest OpenCV was 1.0). I was usually review this video and ask myself how I could do a "noob" project like that :D But it was a good starting point for a newcomer, as I was.

I have been receiving many email asking me about how to deal, where to start, etc... recently days. It is very surprise that I was not only the one :p I had tried to help them, as much as I can, in a simple approach. However, the OpenCV.NET project seems not be developed actively, and I currently don't have a Windows machine so that I can not recompile my old files, also help them about debug code (I didn't want to see unmanaged code in C# project so that I chose OpenCV.NET, it seemed that many newcomers who asked my advices chose too for easier reference). A new tool to make everything easier, stable, exist in many platform is exactly what I wanted to introduce to them.

After doing some googling, I found out this project: Harpia. It was too happy to see that's better than my expectation. It use OpenCV library to process digital image. It can run in both windows and linux. You don't have to write any code line, just simply drag 'n drop. By this project, you can easily get acquainted with foundation knowledge about digital image processing, and be familiar with OpenCV library rapidly by looking into the generated source codes (only C/C++ ^^).

I have tried some example and it works very smoothly. The generated source code is commented very well and easy to understand. There are some tutorial video here.

Hope it useful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment